and a little bit about me too!

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Nostalgic Christmas TV...

The Children of Green Knowe series was shown back in 1986...It ran for a few weeks up until Christmas...
Its  a gentle, and sometimes scary Ghost Story, about a lonely little boy called Tolly, who goes to stay with his long lost Grandmother.. and its set at Christmas!!
Its a crime that this isn't available to buy on DVD (Dear BBC, please sort this out!!), however you can watch it in segments on You Tube..phew, and here is the LINK.
On his first night staying at 'Green Knowe', he discovers a little mouse by his bed, that belonged to
a previous resident...(I won't give any more away)
Here is the original illustration from the book....
...and here is the replica you can buy from the house that Lucy Boston wrote the stories about..
Image from another Blogger...
The actual house is called The Manor at Hemingford Grey  I would love to visit it one day, it must be just like being in the books!
I'm gonna have to get me Tollys Mouse now...in time for Christmas!!
I can feel a nostalgic Christmas Telly theme coming on :0)
Happy Tuesday bloggers!
Sam xx
PS...now go on...when you have a quiet 20 minutes...watch an episode, you won't be disappointed!

6 comments:

Rose&Bird said...

Thank you for mentioning this one - I'd forgotten all about it! I just about remember it. Mostly I remembered being a scared of the statue moving. I read the book some years later and liked it, but I forget what happened in the end.

Anonymous said...

I remember this, it had Daphne Oxenford in it, a long time British Actress.

Lyn said...

I read that book last year and bought the others in the series (as yet unread) I didnt know it was on TV will look that up thanks
xxx

JoJo said...

I hope you are able to locate that series some day! My fave holiday special is "A Child's Christmas in Wales" with Denholm Elliott. It's pure magic.

Happy Homebird said...

I love the old BBC Children's series. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy thinking about them and the effect they had on my childhood.

Do you remember the Box of Delights from 1984? I have the series on DVD! Also the BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is still my favourite (1988). I feel a bit sad too when I think of these, I always get slightly melancholic when I think how time flies xx

French Nanny said...

On that website for the house there IS a dvd of the Julian Fellowes' adaptation...

The Red Shoes

The Red Shoes
Cath Kidston is too Much